P r a g m a t i c D r e a m e r
Saturday, April 23, 2005

Losing Faith

I am born and raised Catholic. In fact, from kindergarten up to my college in the Philippines, I went to Catholic schools.

I know all about the Catholic faith. I can defend the existence of God through what my philosophy professors taught me. I know all the stories in the bible. In fact, when I was a freshman in high school, I participated in a Bible quiz. Well, I didn't win, but that's not the point. I became one of the "contestants" because I have the highest grade in my religion class.

I used to go to church every Sunday. I used to pray the Novena every Wednesday with my friend. Though I may not be a devout Catholic, I still believed. I still believed in the Catholic teachings. I still believed in the goodness of the Catholic faith.

I used to feel guilty for missing church. I used to pray before I go to sleep and the first moment I wake up. I used to pray before I eat my meals. I used to pray in college before a class would start.

But now, slowly but surely, I'm losing my faith in the Catholic Church. Who wouldn't? You hear news every once in a while about priests molesting their parishioners. About priests raping a child. About priests involved in sexual scandal. About priests who gamble. About priests who have wives.

These are the same priests who preached about what a true Catholic must be. These are the same priests who taught us to be good people. These are the same priests who taught us what is right from what is wrong.

I'm losing my faith...

Then you see Rome and you wonder, if the Catholic Church teach us to help alleviate poverty, teach us to help the poor people, teach us to share, then how come their churches are made of gold? How come it is probably one of the richest countries in the world? How come they just don't give what they have to the poor people? Afterall, maybe if they sell all the gold that they have on their churches, live a life of poverty (as is one of the vows priests make), then maybe, just maybe, there would be less poor people in this world.

I'm losing my faith...

Or maybe I have lost it already. I do not go to church every Sunday anymore. I still believe in God. I still believe there is a higher Being out there. I still stand by my principles, which stemmed out of the teachings of Catholic Church, the teachings that I've learned from my 14 years of Catholic education.

But I don't believe in the Catholic Church anymore. I had already lost my faith in them.

posted at 3:52 AM by joyce

Comments:
Wow. That's a sad blog. Well, I can tell you one thing. Being an Art History major.. churches in Rome are prestigious and elegant as they are because they've been established centuries ago when the traditions of having expensive churches "made of gold" were to show Him how important he is to us. After all, he only deserves the best. As to the other subject of poverty, one institution(the Catholic church) won't be enough to solve the problem. We, all the world, will have to come together as a whole to alleviate the problem. And I don't see that happening in the near future.

Just my opinions.
 
Thanks Kathryn for commenting on this blog....

I know ur ryt, the Catholic church is not enough to alleviate poverty, BUT, I still believe that they should practice what they preach...

It's like everything they say and do is hypocritical.
 
Hey, girl!! How you doin?! Well, I read your latest entry and to tell you honestly, I was kinda saddened that you felt that way. Although it's very true that it's hard to hold on to your faith what with all the hypocrite practitioners of the Catholic faith, I still believe that it is up to you on how to defend what you believe in. You don't have to prove to anyone where your faith lies except to God. I understand where you're coming from because I grew up the same way, too. But maybe there have always been priests who don't follow their vows of poverty and celibacy and even some who also abuse their power and forget that they are supposed to be role models of the Catholic faith. They've been there all the time, we just haven't noticed it yet until now. Which comes down to the conclusion that maybe the Catholic Church hasn't really changed, we did. We grew wiser, more mature and not so ignorant of everything that goes on in this world. But when it all comes down to it, it really doesn't matter as long as we have our faith to turn to everytime we are in doubt, of ourselves and in the Church. And if you ever feel lost, it's always a consolation to know that you have God to strengthen your faith yet again. But to each his own, I guess. I just wanted to share my thoughts because I miss you so much, har har!! Keep in touch. Mwah!! =)
 
hey ivy! miss u too! wat's new??

anyway, i never said that I lost my faith in God. I still believe in Him. i just don't believe an institution. And I think that's different.

anyway, ano na balita?? email ka naman! hehe
 
That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »
 
Post a Comment

About Me
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Joyce. 22 23 24. Filipino. Journalism graduate. working student. Scorpio. chocolate lover not anymore.collects teddy bears shoes.drama queen. crybaby. book lover.frustrated singer. good dancer. extrovert. observer. loves to daydream. has an overactive imagination. green-minded. cynical and yet romantic. sweet. internet addict. talkative. a walking contradiction . mababaw. childish . loves to laugh a lot. pretty friendly. optimistic. impulsive buyer. doormat. directionally challenged. worrywart. constantly on a diet. movie fanatic :)
Contact me at b l u e b l i n k 1 3 8 2 at yahoo dot com
I feel my moodtoday
online




My past...



Photos
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
:)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
:)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
:)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com


My Favorite Bloggers
suburban wit
mental foreplay
tampisaw
taglish
sapphicgirl
selene in shadows
leidy gaea
spot my blog
rock the boat
stars on hand
pretty pearl
cafe of the village nut
midnight run
sickmadworld
Winchell
Falling into the rabbit hole
rice bowl journals
Car Driver
Ala-ism
Hipstah



Credits

design by maystar
powered by blogger