P r a g m a t i c D r e a m e r
Thursday, April 22, 2004

I went to my college earlier to register for some classes I'm going to take in the Fall semester. I decided to take Anatomy and Physiology (scary!) and English 101.

It's a bummer I have to take up English subjects again when I already have a journalism degree. When I asked my advisor why I have to take that subject, he told me that it is required and that my english subjects from the Philippines won't be credited here in the US. That's how it works. That sucks big time.

I had to take an English placement test to see if I have to take English as Second Language (ESL) courses. I had to write an essay. I forgot what topic I chose. I took the placement test a couple of months ago. After reviewing the results of the test, my advisor told me that I don't have to take ESL subjects, and that I could register for English 101.

Then he asked me, "Tell me Joyce, you haven't been here in the US for long, why is your English so good?"

Well, duh?! Don't you just hate it when they think that just because you're a foreigner you don't know English?

I just answered him, "Because the medium of instruction in the schools in the Philippines is English." I mean, what else could it be, huh?

He shrugged his shoulders, and said, "No, that's not it."

"I already have a journalism degree in the Philippines.", I said.

"Ahhh... yeah, that's why."

But still that made my hackles rise, you know. It's degrading that just because you're a foreigner, and I guess because you're a Filipino at that, they assume you can't speak or write good in english.

Kainis ha.

***
Oh, I forgot to tell you guys. Finally got back the car I crashed a month ago. Only it's not my car anymore. My parents decided to give it to my brother instead. I guess, they got scared that I might get into an accident again, and mess up the new car.

Now, they decided to give me an old car instead. Arrgh. I call it a classic. Haha. Oh well, as long as it takes me from one point to another.

posted at 5:58 PM by joyce


About Me
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Joyce. 22 23 24. Filipino. Journalism graduate. working student. Scorpio. chocolate lover not anymore.collects teddy bears shoes.drama queen. crybaby. book lover.frustrated singer. good dancer. extrovert. observer. loves to daydream. has an overactive imagination. green-minded. cynical and yet romantic. sweet. internet addict. talkative. a walking contradiction . mababaw. childish . loves to laugh a lot. pretty friendly. optimistic. impulsive buyer. doormat. directionally challenged. worrywart. constantly on a diet. movie fanatic :)
Contact me at b l u e b l i n k 1 3 8 2 at yahoo dot com
I feel my moodtoday
online




My past...



Photos
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
:)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
:)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
:)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com


My Favorite Bloggers
suburban wit
mental foreplay
tampisaw
taglish
sapphicgirl
selene in shadows
leidy gaea
spot my blog
rock the boat
stars on hand
pretty pearl
cafe of the village nut
midnight run
sickmadworld
Winchell
Falling into the rabbit hole
rice bowl journals
Car Driver
Ala-ism
Hipstah



Credits

design by maystar
powered by blogger