P r a g m a t i c D r e a m e r
Sunday, January 18, 2004

Somber Thoughts

Another resident in the hospital I work for died last night.

Maybe in my field of work, or to anyone who works in a hospital, death is just any other ordinary event. It is like it's something normal, something expected.

Will I ever get used to it? I don't know.

I was just a little suprprised at how nonchalant the nurses were when they announced the death of that resident.

"Where's Marge?," asked CNA1

"Oh, she's gone," answered CNA2, as she continued to do her work.

"Huh?", -- CNA1

"She died last night." -- CNA2

"Oh, okay." said CNA1, then continued on his way, as if he hadn't heard something pretty bad. As if the death of that resident meant nothing to him.

And most probably it doesn't. How could it? Marge was just one of the many patients he used to handle everyday. He probably thought, huh, one less patient to take care of.

And what about me? What do I feel about a resident who just died last night? I felt bad. No, not because I'm pretty close to that patient or anything like that, coz I'm not. I felt bad because I can't even remember her face. I see her everyday but now I can't remember what she looked like. And I feel awful about that. It was like in my mind, she never existed. I know her name yes, but why can't I remember her face? I closed my eyes real tight, and tried to rack my memory of her face. But my brain goes blank.

Will it be like this for me from now on? Will I really get used to hearing of death that it won't affect me anymore, that my brain brings out only blank faces. Will I be like those nurses, unfeeling, nonchalant. Would that job make me somewhat of a robot? Why don't I feel anything anymore? Me, who cried for the death of children I never even knew, me, who cried for the lives of those who died in the 9-11 incident, me, who cried on Rico Yan's death, me, who cries on animal cruelty, me, who cried on a friend's pet's death, me, who cried on the death of the dad of a dear friend, why don't I feel anything now?

***
I wish I was a poet.
So I could express into beautiful words, fragments of what I feel in my heart.
You make me so happy.
You put a smile on my face.
A grin on my lips.
A spring on my step.
Sunshine on this snowy day.
A song in my heart.
A sparkle in my eyes.
A tingling on my fingers.
Butterflies in my stomach.
A hope in my heart.
A dream in my sleep.


***
Someday I know I'm gonna leave blogger behind. Not by choice but because I need to. Why do I feel that someday would come sooner than I expected?

If that day comes, what other forms could I stay sane into this crazy world I live in? I wonder.

posted at 9:04 PM by joyce

Comments: Post a Comment

About Me
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Joyce. 22 23 24. Filipino. Journalism graduate. working student. Scorpio. chocolate lover not anymore.collects teddy bears shoes.drama queen. crybaby. book lover.frustrated singer. good dancer. extrovert. observer. loves to daydream. has an overactive imagination. green-minded. cynical and yet romantic. sweet. internet addict. talkative. a walking contradiction . mababaw. childish . loves to laugh a lot. pretty friendly. optimistic. impulsive buyer. doormat. directionally challenged. worrywart. constantly on a diet. movie fanatic :)
Contact me at b l u e b l i n k 1 3 8 2 at yahoo dot com
I feel my moodtoday
online




My past...



Photos
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
:)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
:)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
:)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com


My Favorite Bloggers
suburban wit
mental foreplay
tampisaw
taglish
sapphicgirl
selene in shadows
leidy gaea
spot my blog
rock the boat
stars on hand
pretty pearl
cafe of the village nut
midnight run
sickmadworld
Winchell
Falling into the rabbit hole
rice bowl journals
Car Driver
Ala-ism
Hipstah



Credits

design by maystar
powered by blogger